Sunday, April 12, 2009

Art directors are all pencil pushers

Or at least we all should be.

I always have a pencil and sketchbook handy. I find them comforting. Comforting in the sense that at a moments notice I can record the fresh observations and revelations that I am faced with on a daily basis. One habit I have gotten into is drawing planes. Whenever I am on a plane I draw my perspective from where I sit. No matter how bizarre, odd, large, or small the view. And with all the travel I did while living in Atlanta, I have amassed quite the collection. I feel very strongly that art directors still need to possess the ability to draw. Sounds funny doesn’t it? The age of the computers has made my muse all but extinct. An art director still needs to be able to convey an idea, a thought, or a concept with a few quick strokes of a pencil. One could rely on the computer to do the work, but those thoughts, or concepts have the tendency become sterile. So the question is... do you want your ideas fresh or sterile?

Below are some of the illustrations of planes:



No comments:

Post a Comment